Sunday, February 11, 2007

Whistle while you work

As you can see from my previous blog entry, I just got back from the movies. There was an unexpected surprise at the movies, and that surprise did not come from the film. The surprise came from a theater employee - a young man, probably in his late teens.

The surprise -> He immensely enjoyed his work. It was unusual for me to see someone enjoying what he did. Perhaps I need to get out more. It made me feel good to see someone so positive about their labors.

My first encounter with this young man was at the concession counter. He dutifully and cheerfully served the customer in front of us. He took time in serving, listened to customer, and interacted cheerfully. He also did his job right. When it came time for me, the same cheerful attitude prevaled. While serving me, he was to go up to do projection work, obviously learning the craft. He was beaming - he was obviously doing what he loved to do.

I took my popcorn and drink and watched the movie. On my way out, close to midnight, I stopped by the restroom. Who else but this kid was in there cleaning the restroom with a smile on his face. That really impressed me. With a positive attitude like his and the humility to do whatever needed to be done, I predict a prosperous future for him. I wish him well, and thank him for reminding me that it is possible to enjoy your work. Sometimes we all need a little reminder like that, and I was glad it happened to me tonight.

No comments: