Saturday, May 19, 2007

In Memory of Frank Hott

Frank Hott
1965- 2006

Frank Hott was a friend of mine. He was one of the truly good people - salt of the earth. A Leader. Outspoken and honest. These words describe the Frank I knew.

I was thinking of Frank the other day because I was going back to Allegany County, Maryland where we both grew up. He lived on Goethe Street and I on North Waverly Terrace in Cumberland, not far from each other. Poor folks from the wrong side of town you might have called us. Unfortunately I found out that Frank passed away last June of a heart attack.

I spent a lot of my teenage years involved in scouting, right along side Frank. He was the Leader, the first to do things. I soon followed after. There were a lot of things I would not have done, except that Frank was there first. He encouraged me to join the staff of Camp Potomac. He signed up to be the dishwasher (lowest paid job in camp), and I signed up to be the Quartermaster Assistant (second lowest paid job in camp). I never would have done it without the prodding of Frank.

We went through our OA Ordeal together. He got the most notches on his arrow. It was said that a person like him would be Lodge Chief. We spent a lot of time together - I was the Unit Elections Chairman and Frank was the Camping Promotions Chairman. Together we visited troops all over Western Maryland, some West Virginia, and some Pennsylvania. He drove that old green Chevy Malibu. It was a lot of fun. We took the job seriously and did an excellent job.

One year Frank decided to run for Lodge Chief and encouraged me to run for Vice Chief of Program. Again, the two poor boys from Troop 7 emerged victorious. I remember going to one of the conclaves with Frank and we were entitled to sleep indoors in a building with the other chiefs and council executives. Frank decided it would be best to let some of the elders from the Lodge take the warm and comfortable spots, while we slept with the troops out in tents. That was just his way. It was freezing and I remember Frank taking an outdoor shower in that freezing water. It was hilarious, but Frank took it in stride, laughing and telling jokes.

One year Frank decided to run for Section Chief. I remember campaigning for Frank. We lost. The poor boys from Ahtuhquog Lodge didn't make it. I remember our disappointment, but we moved on and did our jobs. Frank was a good and honest Chief.

Frank was the kind of guy that looked after the less fortunate and the smaller guys. When he saw injustice, he acted. People listened to him, partly because of his size, but partly because they knew he was right and was telling you straight.

I don't have the time to tell you all about Frank, but know this. Frank was a good man. Rest in Peace, Frank. It was an honor to know you.

Matt

No comments: